Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Debauchery

This was my debut collection of paintings which I launched at Index Exhibition Dubai 2004, named The Decadence Collection. This collection was a collaborative effort between me and another artist. All the paintings depict beautiful women in highly stylized poses.
The most striking aspect of the art work is the glittering jewelry worn by the women. Beautiful necklaces, ornate tiaras, large earrings and even a contemporary version of the traditional Arabian burqa'a have been painstakingly painted on canvas and encrusted with thousands of Swarovski crystals.
The languorous demeanor of the women and the ornate backgrounds of the paintings are reminiscent of opulent French palaces and the debauched lifestyles of their occupants.
Titles such as The Widow, Debutante, Madame Deficit, Paramour, Jezebel, Odalisque and Naiveté also suggest a classical mood, yet there is a certain kitschy, pop art like element that gives the art work a contemporary feel. Inspired by the work of Art Deco legends such as Tamara de Lempicka, costumier Erte, and jeweler Lalique.
As a film-maker as well, I always had a thing for close-ups, and this is reflected in my compositions. The artist then translated my ideas into oil on canvas. Once the paintings were ready, then I started the painstaking process of applying thousands of Swarovski crystals individually on each of our creations, to complete the final look. This process took weeks, and with some even months to complete. This was the least enjoyable part of the collection, for I was going literally blind. The most annoying part was when I would layout the crystals, and then with a sudden nudge they all scatter on the table, and I have to start all over again! The end result though was phenomenal. They could light up an entire room, once the light hits them.

La Coquette

Jezebel

Commtesse de La Motte

Odalisque

Paramour

Recherche

Vestal

Madame Deficit

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog from the facebook group! Glad I did! Those paintings are fantabulous! I LOVE Vestal!
    The store, the name, the concept.......everything is amazing! Mabrook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey, thank you so much for your amazing comments. Hoping to seeing u soon at Burlesque:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing! as all your art is.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Question: How do you apply the crystals to your work?
    I am working on a piece and would like to use crystals but not sure best technique for the application.
    I am working with acrylics.

    Thank you, Czendell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete